Every year for Mother's day I try to do something creative. Some years it works, others...eh not so much. Last year I downloaded all the CDs of mine I know my mom would love onto her Ipod. Not that big of a deal for me, but she absolutely loved it. So this year, I thought I'd add some gocco action into Mom's present. And actually, after I made these cards I realized that I would be personalizing a lot more from now on... Translation: I lovvvvve my gocco:) This year, I made personalized cards for both my mom and Champ's mom. They were VERY simple (almost embarrasing now), but I felt like it was a good way to break into the DIY world. I didn't want to start with some elaborate project and get discouraged.
My mom is a huge biker (not Harley woman, although that would be cool- more like mountain biker). Champ's mom is big into beach-y items. They have a summer house in Maine, and my first Thanksgiving dinner with his family was lobster Thanksgiving! I loved it
.... and I digress. Ok, so step one was to pick out the designs each Mom would get. The choices were little bikes for my mom, and a little lobster for Champ's mom.
I went to AC Moore and picked out some ivory notecards (25 for $5.00 or 50 for $10.00) : Very simple, yet so easy to make into an artsy personalized notecard.Next I simply used one screen for each of the Mom's cards. On each screen I included: Mom's name with a fun free font, a Medium sized clipart file, and smaller clipart image for the envelope. I probably could have done both on one screen, but I had nooo idea what I was doing :)

A Yummy Apology Font used for my Mom's card from 1001freefonts
I used the obvious red gocco ink for the lobster, and gold ink for the bicycles. For each Mom's name, I used black ink on the back of the notecard.
Ok so the bikes are a little crooked, but this was my throw-away. And the lobster is upside down on the envelope in the right picture- again, my throw-away. Hey, when you do DIY projects, you're bound to throw away a few mess ups, right?
So I loved the way these looked, and they're great gift ideas for anyone (not just mother's day)- my sister in law is a teacher, so I was thinking little apples- too cliche? Probably... I'll keep thinking...
What was your first DIY project?



No comments:
Post a Comment